May 10, 1949: Morehead Planetarium opens
Posted May 10, 2021
The opening of Morehead Planetarium on May 10, 1949 was a big event. Frank Porter Graham, who was at this point a U.S. Senator, gave the main address, expressing his belief that the Planetarium would “become a part of a great intellectual and spiritual center whose influence will reach across all the states through all the generations to come.”
(UNC.edu)
Related: Campus Connections
Merritt’s Grill Opening Second Location in Chapel Hill; Einstein Bros. Bagels Opening FirstMerritt’s Grill, whose BLT sandwiches have been a staple of the Chapel Hill, North Carolina culinary scene since the restaurant opened in 1992, is opening...
Sat Aug 29, 2026Tar Heels take their music to Ireland
For five bluegrass students and 105 marching band students at Carolina, the start to this year will be anything but ordinary. Along with about 25...
Fri Aug 28, 2026
The top events in Kenan Stadium from the last 10 decades
As the centennial season of Kenan Stadium approaches, the sun has risen and set on a plethora of memorable events held inside its walls. Despite...
Wed Aug 26, 2026
Live from Ireland: Festivities begin in Dublin
UNC leaders, student-athletes, fans, and alumni are arriving in Ireland ahead of the Tar Heels’ football season opener against Texas Christian University as part of...
Tue Aug 25, 2026
